Monday, July 19, 2010

Good Bye Cups & Hello HydraPour




While I was looking through the slowtwitch forums the other day, I came across a post that read no more cups for the Full Vineman. When I was reading through the post, instead of using cups for the run, they will be using a curious new invention called the HydraPouch along with the HyrdaPour. The HyrdaPour is a device that connects to your standard water cooler, but dispense 6oz of water in 1 sec. You can use this along with the HydraPouch or any device that carries water/electrolyte drink. So, this now means that at this event you will have to get your own water. The green revolution has struck again in this case. This device is meant to get rid of cups. I can see how it would save on clean up and waste. The race will need less volunteers to be filling and dispensing hydration. Of course, the question is how many of these devices will you need per aid station to prevent lines from forming? Generally at most aid stations, I get a cup of water, gatorade, and maybe another cup of water to dump on my head. I'm in and out of an aid station very quickly. I seem to think this device would slow me down. While training, I will carry fluids with me even though I don't like to you. I love the fact that at races I do not have to worry about carrying my own fluids because I know what to expect at aid stations. I hope this product does not gain traction.

Update 7/22:
There will now be cups on the course. However, they will quit using them after 7:00pm to allow for clean up. After 7:00, everyone still on the course will be given a hydrapouch to use if they do not already have some form of water carrying device.

No comments:

Post a Comment