Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Week 6: Keep on Keeping on - Ride The Rockies/Ironman Wisconsin

This week was filled with some interrupted workouts and nice long ride.

My usual Monday involved Masters Swimming during lunch.  Well mother nature decided to cut the workout short.  A small thunderstorm moved in and stopped the swimming for 20 minutes.  We were able to get back for about 10 minutes before another crack of thunder and lighting finished the swim for the day!  It was a short swim, but I would make for it on Thursday.  On Thursday, the main set for the swim was a 150 swim, 4 x 25, 150 swim, 4 x 25, and then a 150 swim.  Well for some reason, I keep thinking in my head the that the 150 swim was 3 x 150.  I ended up with about 900 extra yards, but I actually felt good throughout the swim, even though I swam 3300 yards.  This was the most that I've swam since my 33rd birthday!

I was able to get in a good amount of riding this week and some hills.  On Tuesday, I did the North OAB which includes about 3000 ft of climbing in 50 miles.  Thursday was some hill repeats out at Wye for around 2100 ft of climbing in 37 miles, and the big ride was on Saturday.  68 miles for at total 3,400 ft. of climbing.  Still not as much as I will see Colorado, it is more than I've had lately.  The great thing about the Saturday ride was that it was at a higher intensity than what I've been riding lately.  My legs started out cold, but by the time we got to Thornburg I was feeling pretty good.  I finished the week out with a 36 mile flat ride to Morrilton OAB.  I didn't know what to expect on Sunday, but I was surprised how good my legs felt.

Running wise I felt pretty good with all my running this week.  The "big" run for the week was a 4.25 mile run between the rain on Monday.  I was able to hold a 7:59 pace for the run.  Also, during the week, I mixed a 3 mile Spencer Hills run.

The great thing about this training is does help break up the day while I look for a job.  It has been tough trying to figure out exactly what I want to do, but it has been a rewarding experience to get the chance to look at things again and see exactly where I want to go.  I don't have to make a jump into anything.

This week I also taught a kids class in taekwondo for the first time in about 2 years.  I've taken over a class for someone for the rest of the school year.  It was interesting trying to figure how to best teach 20 plus kids of various ranks and ages.  It will be a challenge, and it is something that I'm looking forward too.

I got my t-shirt and hat for Ride The Rockies.  What a great welcome package!

Week 6:
Cycling - 191 miles
Running - 13 miles
Swimming - 3.75 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment