Thursday, May 31, 2012

2012 Rock Run 8k and Upcoming Events

It's been a week since the Memphis in May triathlon and it is onto the next race the Rock Run 8k.  This was the third year in a row that I've run this race.  The race is held the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.  It is run along the Arkansas River Trail near Rosenbaum Golf course just east of the Big Dam Bridge.  The course is flat, but the last two years it has been hot and this year was no different with the early heat. 

In years past, the course and gone to the east and under the Big Dam Bridge before turning back to the finish.  This year, we started to go east for about a 1/2 mile and then turned towards the east for about 4 miles before heading back to the finish.  The course was still flat and fast.  The goal for this race was under 37:00 minutes.  Last year, I went 37:08. 

The race starts at 7:30am, so all the runners lined up at the start and away we go.  I have been trying to force myself to hold back a little at the start, so that I don't start off too fast. Of course, I'm feeling really good for the first mile and was able to hit a around a 7:10. 
Still feeling good

 Somewhere around a mile and half, I start to feel a sloshing in the stomach and realize that maybe I had a little too much water before the start of the race, but no worries though.  I feel my pace has settled down a little and hit the second mile around 14:30.  I'm averaging a 7:15 pace and still feeling good.  At this point, the wheels come off quickly.  I try to hold back a little more and save a little towards the end, but I average around an 8:00 min/mile pace for the 3rd mile and then around 8:10 for the 4th mile.  I'm now just begging for the end to come.  With the race flat, you can see the finish off in the distance.  Just keep going, I think to myself.  The 5th mile was the toughest where I average close to an 8:25 pace.  I was able to finish the race in 38:28.  This was a tough race for me, I was hoping for the 37:00 mark, but my fitness still is not where it was at earlier in the year.  I still enjoyed this race and will back again next year assuming I have no other plans.





Upcoming Summer Events

As usual, summer time is a very busy time of year with races and general summer activities.  The last two weekends have included the Memphis in May triathlon and the Rock Run 8k.  Also, spent a day at Greers Ferry Lake. 

This weekend and next are no different.  I have the The Ranch Ride planned for this weekend.  This is a charity bike ride that starts in Conway and includes a 34 and 54 mile route.  I will completing the 54 mile route.  On June 9th, I should be racing in the sprint triathlon in Hot Springs Village.  So I'm keeping myself and challenged so far this summer.








No comments:

Post a Comment